This is another dish in partnership with aitoglobal, a Nordic Oatbrand with a selection of plant based products for cooking, baking & snacks.
For this dish, perfect for autumn nights for the family to share I used Aito Oat Cuisine- a great dairy free choice which also gives the chowder a rich and creamy texture. As a chef working with street food, I love to cook hearty dishes for everyone sharing. No fancy plating just dig in!
- 150g smoked pancetta diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 400g large shrimp, de-veined and tails removed
- 100g large whole shrimp
- 2 whole corn
- 3 large carrots cut into chunks
- 2 pieces celery, diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp oregano
- 100g fresh parsley
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 500g baby red potatoes, quartered
- 750ml chicken stock
- 250ml Aito Oat Cuisine
- Place a grill pan on stove and heat on high heat.
- Remove the husk from the corn. Brush with a little oil. Place corn into the hot pan. Char all the sides of the corn. Remove from the pan.
- With a knife remove the charred corn kernels from the corn and set aside for later.
- Add the pancetta to a large pot and cook over medium-high heat for 4-8 minutes until crisp. Remove from the pot to a towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Add the diced onions to the pot and cook over medium heat until translucent.
- Add half the corn kernels. As well as the carrots, celery, bay leaf, paprika, salt, pepper, thyme and oregano. Cook for 2 minutes to start bringing out the flavours.
- Now add potatoes, and chicken stock and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer.
- Place the remaining corn kernels into a blender. Pour a large ladle of the hot broth from the cooking pot. (try to have just the liquid not any of the vegetables) Blend until you have a thick and creamy texture. Pour the creamy corn into the pot and stir together. Simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are cooked.
- Now add the deveined prawns to the pot and half the pancetta to the pot. Gently cook for 2 minutes.
- In a separate frying pan. Add a little oil and season the whole prawns with slat and pepper. Fry the prawns on each side for 2 minutes and until they turn pink and golden. Remove from the pan.
- Now to finish the chowder pour in the Aito Oat Cuisine and stir for one minute. Remove from the heat and transfer the chowder to a serving dish. Sprinkle the remaining pancetta over. Place the fried whole, prawns over the top. Then sprinkle with the chopped parsley.